Sunday, April 30, 2006

April 20, 2006

You can write.
Yes
You.
Write about the tomorrows of yesterdays and afraid you are that NOW will never come.
You can write about
the brief lapse of rainbow coloured sky after a even briefer shower
of God’s tears
dropping from the sky are the sound of clunking scraps of
metallic lumber. You can write about fluffy puppies and kittens and how their
eyes look up at you and say
“You graze my heart with
love”
Lover. Their bodies intertwined
melting into a pot of burning desire
the temptress and her,
how that is all crap and
say there is no love but lust, crackling through my arteries pouring molten lava into her mouth.
You can write about that.
And how deeply pretentious this poem is because
you think no one gets you when you don’t even get
yourself so deep into
this hole so easy. Don’t tell me
I know what I’m saying and you can write.
About the horizon of a Masai Mara sunset dawn and tell people
what it’s like to stand under the Martian sun with your face glowing
red hot. Then you can say ‘life is not worth nothing’ and feel superior
to zebras being butchered by hungry lions their existence
spluttering onto the crimson grass.
You can write about the ‘everything’
how this list will be the asymptote to your muse one day you’re singing your heart out
on Broadway, New York
near the panhandler in the grey coat.
You can write about pessimistic optimists,
why jumbled clutters of thought end up to be
a poem and What Was She Thinking When She Bought That?
Or,
You can just do like me.
And write until your pen is out of breath, your
spinning head is out of
ink and sell your soul to no-one-cares so you can go do university
get a job and screw over others the same way.
Say I’m not an angry person, it’s just puberty, say
Isn’t that right.

-Sida Bai, UHill


Scuba Diving

From Malindi,
The shore of many colors
Into Indian Ocean,
The sea of great wonders –
Into a crystal wonderland
Underwater,
Underneath the bustle of our city,
Another city blooms
With prosperity
And its residents of fishes.
Small, shimmering fishes
Scattering.
Like a sprinkle of pink pixie dust,
In a sea of blue.

Large fishes swim lazily
Ripping the turquoise water.
Lifting up golden star ash
Sparkling in an aqua background.


Another world,
Under the sea –
Held in my vision,
Transfixed by my fantasies.



A garden of summer’s dawn –

Bees, drunk in the sweet wine of a midsummer’s night rose.


A drowsy morning,

Misty raindrops prancing down a tear-stained hill.


A dying desert,

Bitter sand smoothing out the wrinkles of time.


A Lonely hut,

Fluttering mounds of dampened ashes.

-Sida Bai, UHill


Lyrics

‘Even the Ocean is burning.’ A shadow cried, falling, opened its soul.
Facing the dancing flames, ashes arose to swallow the corpse.
The flames taunted, fiercely twirling in the smoke.
The Ocean answered only in silent waves.
Desperate waves, splashing blackened shores.
Finally the ocean quivered,
It’s voice hush and shaken.
Waves like shuttered light.
Whispering like broken wind.
Red, the sun glowed
Even the sky have fallen on its knees to red-dom. Firedom

-Sida Bai, UHill

Ocean

Struggling in the red mist.
The flames reaching, glowing, burning, fearless.
The Ocean cried.

The boiling water melted into lava tears.

‘No, no.” The flames’ anger spilled like oil over the redness.

‘Conqueror.’ The flames softened.

‘What have you conquered?’.

‘Everything!’ Flames roared, soaring beyond the bloody beaches

‘Every blade of grass.’ it turning to gesture.

Ashes

‘Every star and moon.’ It leaped to look.

But only to see embers has taken their place.

Anger mounted only making it burn brighter.

‘The universe!’

The fire gaped at the bleak red sky.
But the universe is nothing but the same red.
Beautiful Red
Suddenly the sky shuttered into gory pieces and the ocean gave up its hopeless struggle
The fire still burns on…burning nothing.
Without purpose.
Still burning...the same dull red.

-Sida Bai, UHill

A Brother's Suicide Note

My brother, listen to my words carefully.
I tell you this after I lost
the battle against the rich.

Never have a will to become rich.
I would rather die from hunger
than become rich.

It is a sin to live as a rich man.
A rich man sucks up the blood of
a worker's thighs.
A rich man buys women
as easily as they spend money on drinking.

How can a person
use another's sweat to creat his wealth?
How can a person
use another as a tool of his pleasure?
How can a person
use another as a machine or an animal to make money?

I can't criticize a person
Who earned his position
and therefore is enjoying a wealthy life.

However, my brother.
Never become a judge or a prosecutor
who sends innocent people to jail
in return for wealth.

Never become the tool of oppression
hired by the rich.

-Julie Myung, UHILL


On a desert island


Aaron is buried in grief.
He is waiting and waiting for somebody to rescue him.
Suddenly he complains of hunger.
He wanders around the area.
A few minutes later,
He comes back with some fish
caught on a fish spear that he has made.

Oscar has gone mad.
He thinks nobody is coming to rescue him.
He thinks he will be stuck on the island forever.
He starts to cry loudly.
He is in the depths of despair and he is lonely.
Two days later,
He commits suicide.

Bernard adjusts himself to the new environment.
He doesn’t care if somebody comes to rescue him or not.
He starts exploring the place.
He finds a type of fruit
he has never seen before.
He enjoys the fruit and starts to enjoy
the new environment.
ABby takes a rest in the shade.
She is having a very peaceful time,
watching the landscape and the ocean view.
She watches Aaron catching fish
and then helps Bernard picking fruit.


Most people with blood type O are idealistic and passionate. Talk romantically.
Most people with blood type A hate it when the conversation suddenly disconnects or ends.
Most people with blood type B are able to talk about any types of things. They are talented speakers.
Most people with blood type AB enjoy talking about art or literature. They don’t like loud and prattling conversations.

-Julie Myung, UHILL


The things I want in my life time


I want to find the skirt I want is on sale for half price
I want to hear my favorite song on the radio.
I want to fall in love
and I want to receive a special glance,

I want to have a good conversation.
I want to have someone to play with my hair.
I want song lyrics printed inside my new CD so I can sing along without feeling stupid.
I want to get butterflies in my stomach every time I see that one person.
I want to make eye contact with a cute stranger.
I want to see smiles and hear laughter from my friends.
I want to hold hands with someone I care about.
I want to run into an old friend and realize that some things (good or bad) never change.
I want to discover that love is unconditional and stronger than time.
I want to hug the person I love.
I want to watch the expression on someone's face

as they open much-desired present from me.
I want to watch the sunrise.
I want to get out of bed every morning
and thanking my parents for another beautiful day.

-Julie Myung, UHILL


DO NOT HESITATE

Have wisdom to look back the time
when you hesitated in a fright.

You trusted yourself,
And that’s why you reached up to here.

When you can’t see what’s going on,
Take a few steps forward.

No one knows
What will happen in the future.

The most important thing is that
In that moment
When you begin to step forward,
In that moment
When you begin to trust yourself,
Your fear has disappeared already.

-Jieun Kim, UHill


LIFE IS A GAME


Life is a series of games
Which I am forced to play.

I always think of giving up
Yet I hate to be defeated even more.

If I can’t avoid it,
I should enjoy it.

If I should enjoy it,
I’d rather love it.

I’m intoxicating to it now.
I expect brand new items.

I am adapted to the rules of games
I am learning the new tactics.

Who says games are futile?

If it deserves to be fought,
It also deserves to be won.

-Jieun kim, UHILL


Diligence

If I were you I'd be much better
At things you do so disinterestedly
Waste of opportunities, waste of potential
Lacking perseverance, lacking diligence.

If I were you, where would you be?
Would you be watching from the outside
Awed at my prowess?
Look at me succeed!
Why won't you learn?

-Kanghee Park, UHill


Life Sucks

I dreamed and I aspired
To be a doctor or a lawyer
Or a buisness man, who never tires.
I could've been if only that teacher
Didn't give me
That horrible 90 and gave me 3 percent higher.

My mother complains
My father won't love me
I'm getting tummy pains
'cause I don't want to make food
I want that new cellphone!
LEAVE ME ALONE!
'cause I'm in a bad mood

-Kanghee Park, UHILL


A Trudge

Dark, shadows; wander, braille.
Narrow corridors; slowly, walk.
Feel, push, your way through,
sludge, rats; dirt and grease.

Sharp stones on walls; feel it.
slippery, guiding, then turn - a pot of gold.
Seams from the sky from metal grates,
bring thin rays of light, a gift.

Watch the lights; follow it,
it brings help, hope - opportunity.
It's not always tough.
Take a chance, succeed.

-Kanghee Park, UHILL


Don't Look Back

When I was a little boy
Life bored my time away
I was tired of my childish toys
Nothing went my way

Times sure have changed in just few years
Now that no one cares
Sure, no one gives two pennies worth
At all, how I fare

This new freedom intrigues me so!
I've got places to explore
It comes with a few sacrifice
But it's worth the many chores

-Kanghee Park, UHILL


Poem Number Six

Crumpled papers strewn around the room,

Pens broken and abandoned.

Assignment tacked, crooked, on the wall –

A death sentence, just watching, just waiting.

Heart racing, face pruned,

Palpitations soon begin.

Pen and paper not yet romancing,

For the pen cannot commit.

Words thrown tentatively, unsure,

Then annihilated by angry scribbles.

Thoughts jumbled, fingers frozen,

A clock ticking away the hours.

Page after page, tree after tree,

Word after word, destroyed.

Blue smudges, inky bitterness, sore neck.

Such is the excruciation,

The struggle, the fight

To write the sixth and final poem.

-Tian Wen, UHILL


A Time

Pitter patter, gentle rain

Beats upon the ground,

Dusty grime invades her tongue

As he makes not a sound.


Stumbling right on past her

Like she was never there,

He thinks her too demanding,

Not knowing that she cares.


Thunder rumbles overhead

Night blankets the sky

Lightning mad as anger

Flashes o'er the mountains high.


One too many nights

Spent on "Does he care like me?"

One too many words unspoken

Of things that ne'er will be.


All she ever wanted

Was for him to take each day

With joy, with hope, with her

Not to be pushed away.


Rain and thunder chill their bones

Night blankets the sky.

There once was time for sorry,

But now its time to say goodbye.

-Tian Wen, UHILL


Lost

Wandering out there
Somewhere outside
in the middle
of nowhere
a stranded captain leads his crew
of suspecting little critters,
on the edge of their moving wagon,
searching for a glimmer
one ray, that light........of hope
But...
isolated and lost,
traveling in circles
becomes a game of survival
rather than an adventure
of curiosity
will he find his destination?

-Clement Cheng, UHILL

Pics

We capture a frozen frame,
that exact moment in time,
all the pixels seem the same,
cheerishing it for a lifetime.

Everyone loves taking a picture,
always beautiful and bright,
also rich in texture,
creating a stunning light.

Anything can be an image.
of human, animal or nature.
Forever kept in storage,
It's what we call a picture.

-Clement Cheng, UHILL


Painful Endurance

Tears from the eyes causes pain
when a loved one leaves
the heartbrake causes pain
to a feeling we cannot believe.

When prey and predator meet,
How will the outcome look?
There the enemies will meet
the blood will be from one life he took.

The animal kingdom has sacrifice
the food chain causes death
Humans must also endure sacrifice
it's hard to even hold your breathe.

-Clement Cheng, UHILL

The Masked Performer

One that is masked,
is one that is blind to you,
but to them,
you're but a small piece of the puzzle.

The man is a performer,
but really,
he is a magician.
His acts of illusion are just part of his show
what also remains hidden,
is his identity...

The sense of uncertainty,
he puts in his audience,
is the key to his routine of tricks,
and ultimately,
leads to his success and popularity.
He works your brain
to question your sense of reality
that is the story,
of the Masked Performer...

-Clement Cheng, UHILL

Star Glow

It was a night so long ago
That I saw you below,
I am lost in your magic
Filled with yellow and gold.

All the love we know
Is said to be in glow
And it was your beauty,
That gave the stars their perfect glow.

Mark Kong, UHILL

Sweet September

I look toward the sky
And found a storm there
And I look again
Howling and weeping in
Sweet September

Upon the grass I lie
Full of your warm embrace
To face the your bliss
And listen to your sweet song

Sweet September
How long have I been asleep
You paint with all your might
Full of ginger and red
Blossom blooms under your might
Kissing calamity

Like a world on fire.
-Mark Kong, UHILL

Marriage

When I was a young pup
I dream of growing up
Dream of fairy
And getting marry

My woman doesn’t have to be wise
Because then everyday will be a surprise
She will think I am a fuss
When really I am a wuss

But if the day ever come
That I find a woman rich
But acts as if she was a witch
I would let her know
How ugly she really show

If I ever find a woman that is true
That is when my heart will know
That this is the woman for me
And I will be completely free

King of the Beast

In the distant skies
Arose a mighty cry
Comes the king of the jungle
Like a king he moves,
Muscles rippled as proves
Thy strength that grips his body
As hunger shine in his eyes
Never a sound made
As he leaps forward
Towards the prey

Tasting
Devouring
In the silent forest of the night.

-Mark Kong, UHILL

Impossible

You can smell the freshly mowed grass as you
run down the field,
You can feel eyes glued to you,
You accept a pass from your teammates as you
start dribbling the ball not even thinking
once about stopping,
You come close to the net and you can hear
your heart beating,
As you kick with all your might and starre
in awe for your results....
"GOAL"
you hear out of nowhere,
By now you know that
Nothing is impossible.

-Naz Kohan, UHill

Multiple Choice

I'm sitting here,
Crammed in a tiny desk
In a room with more
than twenty people,
Looking around the room,
I see the confused expressions
on some people's faces,
I can hear pencils scribbling
and erasers erasing like lightning
I look at my paper again
and decided whether to choose
A, B, C, D or E,
As the teacher finally yells
"Time's up"

-Naz Kohan, UHILL

No Such Thing as a Happy Ending

I still remember your smile,
that melted my worries away,
I still remember your gift to me
on my birthday,
I still remember your captivating eyes
reassuring me everything would be fine
as i rip a picture of you
into shreds
And as I throw it into the fireplace,
I still remember how you told me
it would last forever,
Watching it burn to pieces,
I get a feeling of satisfaction!
-Naz Kohan

Aging with Friends

Chilly wind
Tickles my ears.
With my imaginery buddy,
I talk, think, smile.
Realizing the speed of time,
I feel lonely but happy.
I am lonely because
I am too old for being a
Friend of Zack.
I am happy because
Suzanne has grown a lot bigger than I am.
Whenever they come,
I 'll bark as loud as I can
And shake my tail as fast as I can,
With all the energy left in me.

Well I am too tired
And I want some sleep.

-David Choi, UHILL

Forgiveness

I am on a bench
Oblivious to
Passer-bys
Mothers with children
Girls with skipping ropes
Boys with their socceer ball,
Reminding me of the present,

Their world is not mine
Those happy scarless hearts
Remind me of a life that
I never had.

Have they ever
Felt the sting of discrimination?
How many times I have felt
Ashamed of my skin colour
I despise but cannot help.

Who am I to blame?
Why should I feel shame?
Forgiveness is so much harder that
They teach in Sunday school.

I forgive them because
Of the strength of my people because
I don't want them as a reason
To hate myself.

Unshakle the past
The future bekons
It's 6 o'clock and I am born again.


-David Choi, UHILL


Chapters of Time

Grey hair
Short and neatly combed back,
Shining in the sunlight
Young eyes in
A wrinkled face
Staring through a moving window,
Views the
Changing world
"It's so different"
Regretting the speed of
Time.

"This world,
Saturated with
Memories of my past
I was a part of it
I helped build it
I could've done better"
Wise grin on his
Face.

"This hammer does not belong to me anymore
But to my children."



-David Choi, UHILL



A Poet


I am a poet
Because
I can feel,
Think,
Write,
And speak.
Are you a poet?
Oh, I am sorry
You're not a poet.


-David Choi, UHILL

The Internet

I am wandering

In the secret garden of the Internet,

Time flies

Like a bird in the sky, leaving no trace.

If one day,

The Eden were not there,

Time would grow its root and refuse to care.

My story would be sad.


-Candy Zhou, UHILL


The Tea Cup

Charming as its appearance

The tea cup sits on the book

As the sea waves outside the patio

The tea sings a silent lullaby

For my good night’ s sleep


-Candy Zhou, UHILL


Photo

My childhood photo album is a magic box.

When it is open,

Laughers and songs are flying around

Like little birds in the sky.


-Candy Zhou, UHILL


Whipping Cream Winter

Flurries of pearls drop to the ground from a broken necklace

Snowmen stand like statues

Trees becomes crystal carvings

Roofs prick through the white blankets

A whipping cream winter


-Candy Zhou, UHILL


Happy Valentine's Day

No matter how I try, you seem far away.

You look like an angle, Heaven is where you stay.

But why can't you stay with me,

That's the way we used to be!


-Candy Zhou, UHILL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home