Friday, June 02, 2006

May 03, 2006

Buy Or Sell

Commit sins day after day
then head to church and begin to pray
Lord please forgive me of my sins is what I say
why not change your filthy ways

They tell me important is a money and a good job
why would I care about family and god
then when I turn hopless and alone
is when moneys no good and i turn to the lord
I feel improper because they tell me its ineffective and wrong
I feel afraid because we haven't spoken for so long

Mr.west says Jesus walks
I ask why doesn't he talk
so he can take me off my path to hell
but getting a path to heaven or hell is not one you buy or sell


-Hussain Aziz


THE HUNGER FOR HOME

In the cloudless, clear sky,
the birds are flying high.
Sunlight close to makes me blind,
with shadows casting on my spine
like the wide flowing tide.

Here I am, on the street
where I am supposed to stay.
Staggering up the street in the heat,
I see people with familiar faces,
black eyes, black hair and yellow skin.

Striking and appealing to me,
collection of designated heritage
buildings set me free,
free of recalling the days
when we, the Chinese struggled and triumphed.

Exiled in this eerie city,
I am left to listen alone
to the calling for home.
Symbolic of both past and future,
the Millennium Gate rises above the level of nostalgia.

Prominent in my mind,
the gate is indeed teasing me for
looking back on the pleasant memories
rather than looking forward to the
shadowy, fuzzy future.

-Fiona Mak, Killarney Secondary


Streets of Chinatown

The sun shines bright

A public park with oriental styles

A breeze blows through the garden of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen


Outside

After the Second World War

A memorial for Chinese demonstrations

Of bravery in war and lives given for the rail way back then

In the street alley

Besides the garbage

Seats many cramped apartments

A reminder of the hardships endured


Where the drug stores are

The many herbs age

Lizards and bark in their little compartments

One of the places traditional Chinese remedies are offered


Selling their fresh goods

Found in the area

Are fresh flopping fish and juicy barbecue meats

Along with bakeries with Portuguese tarts and Chinese cakes


To the under privileged of you Vancouver
To combat discriminatory moods
They help find good jobs and good suites
The Chinese benevolence association works to end the aches
With different attitudes
Now, china town shines bright
New buildings and old ones under restoration
This historic place is becoming grand

-Julian Fong, Killarney Secondary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home